Cavan S. Reilly
Division of Biostatistics
I received a Ph.D. (2000) and an M.S. (1997) from the Department of
Statistics at Columbia University, an M.A. in Economics at the New
School for Social Research (1995) and a B.S. (1993) in Sociology from
the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. My statistical research
interests are longitudinal analysis for high dimensional data and
low level analysis of -omics data, mostly from a Bayesian perspective.
Most of my applied work is in the area of HIV/AIDS.
For full CV: pdf
- PubH 7445-Statistics for Human Genetics and Molecular Biology. (Will be taught again Fall 2017)
- PubH 8446-Advanced Statistical Genetics and Genomics. (I last taught this Spring 2016, should be offered again Spring 2018)
- PubH 8442-Bayes Decision Theory and Data Analysis. (I last taught this Spring 2011)
- "Statistics in Human Genetics and Molecular Biology" Cavan Reilly
(2009), Chapman Hall/CRC Press
- Slides from overview talk at JSM 2011 (by request I've added some
information about texts that cover this material)
- Presentation for PubH 7440 2/2/12 text
Supplementary Online Resources
- Appendices for Determination of SIV production by infected
activated and resting cells
- data set for the analysis of virus production (first column is
activated cells, second is resting)
- software for analysis of virus production
- posterior modes and initial values for analysis of virus production
Selected research papers
- Reilly, C., Gelman, A. and J. Katz (2001), "Post-stratification
without population level information on the post-stratifying variable,
with application to political polling", Journal of the American
Statistical Association, 96, 1-11. ps
- Raghavan, A., Ogilvie, R., Reilly, C., Abelson, M., Raghavan, S.,
Vasdewani, J., Krathwohl, M. and Bohjanen, P. (2002),
"Genome-wide analysis of mRNA decay in resting and
activated primary human T lymphocytes", Nucleic Acids Research,
30, 5529-5538. pdf
- Reilly, C., Schacker, T., Haase, A., Wietgrefe, S. and Krason, D.
(2002), "The clustering of infected SIV cells in lymphatic tissue",
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 97,
- Reilly, C., Wang, C., and Rutherford, M. (2003), "A method for
normalizing microarrays using the genes that are not differentially
expressed", Journal of the American Statistical
Association, 98, 868-878. pdf
- Zhang, Z. Q., Wietgrefe, S., Li, Q., Shore, M., Lljie, D., Reilly,
C., Lifson, J., Haase, A. (2004), "Roles of Target Cell Availability,
Susceptibility and Productive
Infection of Resting and Activated CD4+ T Cells in Transmission and Acute
SIV Infection", Proceedings of the National Academy of the
Sciences, USA, 101, 5640-5645.
- Reilly, C., Price, P., Gelman, A., Sandgrathe, S. (2004), "Using
image and curve registration for
measuring the goodness of fit of spatial and temporal predictions",
Biometrics , 60, 954-964. ps
- Reilly, C. (2005), "A nonparametric approach to the analysis of
longitudinal data via a set of level crossing problems with application to
the analysis of microarray time course experiments" Biostatistics
, 6, 271-278. html/pdf
- Li Q, Duan, L, Estes, J, Ma Z-M, Rourke T, Wang Y, Reilly C, Carlis
J, Miller C, Haase A (2005), "Peak SIV replication in resting memory CD4+
T cells depletes gut lamina propria CD4+ T cells", Nature, 434,
- Hataye J, Moon JJ, Khoruts A, Reilly C, Jenkins MK (2006), "Naive and
memory CD4+ T cell survival controlled by clonal abundance",
Science, 312, 114-116.
- Reilly C, Wietgrefe S, Sedgewick G, Haase A (2007), "Determination of
simian immunodeficiency virus production by infected activated and resting
cells", AIDS, 21, 163-168.
- Larsson O, Perlman DM, Fan D, Reilly C, Peterson M, Dahlgren C, Liang Z, Li
S, Polunovsky VA, Wahlestedt C, Bitterman P (2007), ``Apoptosis resistance
downstream of eIF4E: posttranscriptional activation of an anti-apoptotic
transcript carrying a consensus hairpin structure'', Nucleic Acids Research
- Reilly C, Miller MB, Liu Y, Oetting WS, King R, Blumenthal M (2007),
``Linkage analysis of a cluster-based quantitative phenotype constructed
from pulmonary function test data in 27 multigenerational families with
multiple asthmatic members'', Human Heredity , 64, 136-145.
- Reilly, C., Gelman, A., (2007), "Weighted variogram estimation for data with
clustering", Technometrics , 49, 184-195.
- Xiao, G., Reilly, C., Khodursky, AB., (2009), "Improved detection of
differentially expressed genes through incorporation of gene locations",
Biometrics , 65, 805-814.
- Li Q, Estes JD, Schlievert PM, Duan L, Brosnahan AJ, Southern PJ,
CS, Peterson ML, Schultz-Darken N, Brunner KG, Nephew KR, Pambuccian S,
Lifson JD, Carlis JV, Haase AT (2009),"Glycerol monolaurate prevents
mucosal SIV transmission", Nature , 458, 1034-1038.
- Kong X, Reilly C (2009), "A Bayesian approach to the alignment of
mass spectra", Bioinformatics , 25, 3213-322.
phone: 612.624.9644; fax: 612.626.0660
School of Public Health
A460 Mayo Building, MMC 303
420 Delaware Street S.E.
Minneapolis MN 55455